Current: Bournemouth University– 2009-2013 BA (Hons) Communications and Media
Year One Modules
- Media, Journalism and Society
- Communication and Marketing
- Communication Skills
- Writing For Different Purposes
- Language Matters
Year Two Modules
- Web Communication
- Media: Messages and Meanings
- Writing for the Media
- Narrative Structures
- Workplace Communication
- Popular Texts and Intertext
I am studying Communications and Media to gain a broader knowledge of what is needed in each sector of the media and improve my skills in each area. I learn a wide range of new media techniques including writing for the media and PR, scriptwriting, creative writing, computer skills including InDesign, WordPress blogs and web design. I have had to produce individual assignments as well as showcase group presentations and pitches.
2002-2009: Highworth Grammar School
- A2 level: English Literature A, Art A, Spanish C
- AS level: English Literature A, Geography A, Art A, Spanish C
- GCSE: 4 A*s and 5 A
Relevant Work experience:
- From 2006- Present, Assisting on photo shoots and press events with an interior and lifestyle stylist working for a variety of leading interior brands.
- April 2010- OFCOM. Two weeks working as part of the internal communications team as well as helping and learning about other areas of the company and assisting the organisation of the internal conferences and events.
- Summer 2007-The Daily Express Newspaper. Working with the team at the Daily Express Newspaper in particular researching and writing copy for the television review pages.
- Summer 2006- BBC Good Homes Magazine. I worked as part of a team helping to produce the Magazine by putting together shopping pages, writing copy, calling in props as well as assisting on photo shoots.
Academic/ Work experience profile
I have always been surrounded by the creative and the media industries and have strived to get as much experience within different areas as possible. My regular assistance on photo shoots and media events has taught me a significant amount about the industries and the organisation and communication needed. I am a confident writer and have been able to show this through my time at The Daily Express, BBC and OFCOM having written and edited copy for publication. I have also been able to use my organisational skills when calling in props and creating events.
- October 2009-Current, Zizzi Italian restaurant. Waitress.
- October 2008-September 2009, Sainsbury’s Bybrook. Sales Assistant.
- February 2008-October 2008, Highworth Grammar School. Cleaner.
- November 2007- January 2008, Barratts shoes. Sales Assistant.
I am a representative of the Bournemouth Media School as well as a PAL leader (peer assisted learning) for the first years on the English degree, holding classes with 20 students once a fortnight. I am currently starting the Student Union Leadership Programme as well as am part of the University magazine, TV and Radio team.
I regularly have Spanish classes in order to keep my knowledge of the language up to conversational level.
Previously I have organised events to raise money for The Teenage Cancer trust including a music concert and raffle. At present I work for a promotions company in Bournemouth advertising events and selling tickets on a commission basis.
Last summer I also took a month independently travelling around Europe-this is something which I wish to continue.
- Published Television reviews for The Daily Express Newspaper.
- I am currently a member of the English and Communications and Media Peer Assisted Learning facility at University holding a class of first year students every 2 weeks to help them adjust to their course.
- Representative of the Bournemouth Media School
- Duke of Edinburgh award Bronze and Silver
- Piano grade 3
Hobbies and interests:
- The media and Fashion
- Part time courses at Chelsea College of Art and Design
- Regular Spanish conversation classes
- Computer and Internet Skills
- Member of the Bournemouth University Surf Club
- Member of the University Magazine, TV and Radio stations
- Independent travel
- Promotional work for Club events